AccueilHOMECalendrierFAQRechercherMembresGroupesS'enregistrerConnexion

Partagez | 

Ki-43 vs ...

AuteurMessage
*{64s}Tomio_I
Admin

MessageSujet: Ki-43 vs ...   Ven 19 Juin - 3:21

http://78sentai.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=339
vu sur le forum de nos collègues du 78ème sentai sur Ki-61 basé à Wewak en Nouvelle-Guinée
l'un de leurs membres a lu le récent livre Hayabusa Aces paru chez Osprey, voici son résumé :

I finished the book on the Ki 43 aces. Very interesting.

First of all, it appears that in the CBI theatre, the Ki 43's were far more successful. Based on this and other books, I would guess that the fuel availability was much better in that region, the JAAF pilots had a better chance to train, and had less trouble with Malaria and other tropical diseases. It appears that until the very end, the Ki 43 units were destroying more aircraft than their losses. It also appears that the P-40's were doing a bit better than the Hurricanes against the Ki 43, probably due to the better fuel tank protection. Except for the very beginning of the hostilities that the Ki 43 units seemed to not have proper tactics, it appears that the Ki 43 scored more than lost even against the P-40. It also appears that the Ki 43's did well against P-38s and P51's in that theatre. Only the Spitfire VIII's seemed to have somewhat consistently the upper hand. The reason appears to be that the Spitfires had much better rate of climb (especially at the higher altitudes) and their turn rate was somewhat competitive, so they had a better chance keeping up with the turning ki-43's long enough to score hits, when they would attack them from above. There were also cases were small numbers of Spitfire VIII's were cornered at low altitudes by large numbers of Ki 43's and they sometimes survived the dogfight. I do not think too many other types of allied fighters would have been able to fight large numbers of Ki 43's short of escaping in dives, which is impossible at low altitudes.

In the New Guinea and Philippines the situation was different. Only sporadically there were successes, when reasonably trained pilots fought under not that overwhelming conditions.

The Ki 43's deserve more fame than they have received. I suspect that its kill/loss ratio was better than the A6M's.

In this book there was a brief discussion of Ki 84 vs Spitfire VIII, but no particular engagements were discussed. In the Shore book, only some straight line speed contests were discussed where the Ki 84's could outrun spitfires, but no dogfights. In this book, they said that it was believed that the Ki 84 would not do too well against a Spitfire in a turning fight, and the pilots were suggested to not try it. But the trials of a captured Ki 84 vs a Spitfire indicated otherwise. May be the Ki 84's were discouraged to fight spitfires due to numerical inferiority. Would be interesting to know if there were any documented combat between Spitfire VIII and Ki 84.I finished the book on the Ki 43 aces. Very interesting.

First of all, it appears that in the CBI theatre, the Ki 43's were far more successful. Based on this and other books, I would guess that the fuel availability was much better in that region, the JAAF pilots had a better chance to train, and had less trouble with Malaria and other tropical diseases. It appears that until the very end, the Ki 43 units were destroying more aircraft than their losses. It also appears that the P-40's were doing a bit better than the Hurricanes against the Ki 43, probably due to the better fuel tank protection. Except for the very beginning of the hostilities that the Ki 43 units seemed to not have proper tactics, it appears that the Ki 43 scored more than lost even against the P-40. It also appears that the Ki 43's did well against P-38s and P51's in that theatre. Only the Spitfire VIII's seemed to have somewhat consistently the upper hand. The reason appears to be that the Spitfires had much better rate of climb (especially at the higher altitudes) and their turn rate was somewhat competitive, so they had a better chance keeping up with the turning ki-43's long enough to score hits, when they would attack them from above. There were also cases were small numbers of Spitfire VIII's were cornered at low altitudes by large numbers of Ki 43's and they sometimes survived the dogfight. I do not think too many other types of allied fighters would have been able to fight large numbers of Ki 43's short of escaping in dives, which is impossible at low altitudes.

In the New Guinea and Philippines the situation was different. Only sporadically there were successes, when reasonably trained pilots fought under not that overwhelming conditions.

The Ki 43's deserve more fame than they have received. I suspect that its kill/loss ratio was better than the A6M's.

In this book there was a brief discussion of Ki 84 vs Spitfire VIII, but no particular engagements were discussed. In the Shore book, only some straight line speed contests were discussed where the Ki 84's could outrun spitfires, but no dogfights. In this book, they said that it was believed that the Ki 84 would not do too well against a Spitfire in a turning fight, and the pilots were suggested to not try it. But the trials of a captured Ki 84 vs a Spitfire indicated otherwise. May be the Ki 84's were discouraged to fight spitfires due to numerical inferiority. Would be interesting to know if there were any documented combat between Spitfire VIII and Ki 84.

Very Happy
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
*{64s}Takeshi_I

MessageSujet: Re: Ki-43 vs ...   Ven 19 Juin - 12:59

Pourquoi mettre ça dans le forum privé ? Je l'aurais plutôt vu dans le Shuho, histoire de fournir de la matière à nos nombreux visiteurs... Cool
*{64s}Takeo_I

MessageSujet: Re: Ki-43 vs ...   Ven 19 Juin - 13:02

Anglophones les visiteurs, parce que moi person, une page en Anglais...... Rolling Eyes cyclops affraid confused Sleep

YOU TALK TO ME ????? YOU TALK TO ME ???????????? albino albino albino
*{64s}Tomio_I
Admin

MessageSujet: Re: Ki-43 vs ...   Dim 21 Juin - 19:11

*{64s}Takeshi_I a écrit:
Pourquoi mettre ça dans le forum privé ? Je l'aurais plutôt vu dans le Shuho, histoire de fournir de la matière à nos nombreux visiteurs... Cool
oui donc qq peut le déplacer ?
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Ki-43 vs ...   

Ki-43 vs ...
Page 1 sur 1